For those JD Edwards customers who could not attend Oracle OpenWorld 2013, we offer the following Velocity overview of Oracle’s announcements. The engineering teams for JD Edwards applications are focused on improving end user productivity, enhancing the popular new EnterpriseOne user interface, extending mobility to support customer and partner mobile workforces, and driving more industry specific functionality.
EnterpriseOne User Interface and Productivity
The upcoming Update 4 tools release for EnterpriseOne will deliver JD Edwards applications in a Composite Application Framework. This platform provides a mechanism for multiple technologies to participate in a solution without hardwired and complicated dependences.
Oracle customers will see value from the following enhancements:
- An improved user interface will allows EnterpriseOne applications to link multiple forms through related form fields.
- A catalog of EnterpriseOne forms will expedite the creation of new views of related data and the dynamic refresh functionality will ensure the user of timely information.
- Applications will have the ability for personalized and customized form and row exits based on key master data.
JD Edwards EnterpriseOne In-memory Applications
In-memory applications are designed to speed up query processing. Benchmark testing (by Oracle) shows in-memory applications are 100x faster for real time analytics and 2x faster for transaction processing. In-memory applications require the Exa Platform but Oracle customers are not required to change current processing or applications. Everything that worked in previous releases of EnterpriseOne will work with the in-memory Sales Advisor and Project Portfolio Management applications.
A few additional announcements to note include:
- New functionality for Sales Advisor: Allows for real-time recommendations to preferred items and cross-sell items, real-time suggestions for up-sell quantities, visual display of line and order profit margin information, dynamic notification of inventory availability, and scenario based profitability analysis.
- New functionality for Project Portfolio Management: Allows for reporting across the entire project portfolio including projected financials with contract billings. You can summarize project portfolios by region, by sales rep, or by project type, can drill down to the supporting project details, and provide built in project status indicators and user-defined project metrics. Also to be included is a single currency view of multi-currency projects.
JD Edwards EnterpriseOne mobile architecture is built using Oracle’s Application Development Framework for Mobile. These mobile applications leverage the same business logic and interact with the same data tables as the existing JD Edwards EnterpriseOne applications. Plus each application adjusts to the unique mobile device look and feel delivering the same user experience no matter which type of device is used. The initial applications supported JD Edwards EnterpriseOne for iPad only.
Upcoming enhancements include:
- Support Chrome on the Android tablet and Chrome Voice Command
- User choice of preferred device type including browser, tablet, or smart phone
- Multi-media attachments and scratchpads, and signatures
Enhancements to Server Manager include an improved user interface and the inclusion of EnterpriseOne style sheets, new user settings that preserve sort order, configuration parameters are grouped together, Server Group management improvements, and new Save and Restore configurations.
This new Oracle database is a single, multitenant container that will host many "pluggable" databases. Each database that is consolidated or "plugged into" the multitenant container looks and feels to applications exactly the same as the non-consolidated version.
Consolidation can assist your organization in the following ways:
- Simplifies database management
- Provides high consolidation density
- Allows for rapid provisioning and cloning using SQL
- Offers predicted new paradigms for rapid patching and upgrades
JD Edwards World User Interface and Applications
With future releases of World software, JD Edwards customers can expect a modernization of their applications supported by a LegaSuite Java Web Interface, new World JDBC Driver extracts underlying Fields/Tables, expanded points of integration in Web Services, Import/Export, EDD and the Extensibility Framework.
World applications will also leverage true ILE, a set of tools and associated system support designed to enhance program development on the iSeries system.
This change in the World applications will:
- Eliminate redundant code
- Provide the ability to leverage common routines
- Make the code easier to support and maintain
- Provide an easier integration to external applications and processes
- Reduce upgrade complexity
Future application releases will leverage the common FUSE User Interface. It will provide a presentation style similar to EnterpriseOne. It is HTML 5 based with dynamic rendering and will use all World and IBM utilities. Interactive applications will have Tree Style menus, Process Flow Rendering and collapsible Fast Path & Favorites. There will be no changes to underlying applications for Dynamic rendering and these new features will work with any World developed application.
We applaud Oracle’s commitment to all the JD Edwards software applications. These new features will enhance the user experience and deliver business innovation to meet the need for mobile applications and improved business productivity.