03 October 2016 / Blog
JDE Blog Series: Get Tighter Security without the Strain with JDE E1 9.2
Your security officer is calling for tighter controls on your systems yet you need to balance the need for the solution to be user friendly for all stakeholders.
The average cost of a data breach is now $4 million, up 29% from $3.79 million in 2015. (Ponemon Institute© Research Report, 2016)
That’s a big jump; no wonder security officers are calling for stronger security. At the same time, business leaders want you to provide easier access to enterprise CRM and ERP business applications for mobile and field employees. Mobile devices present a unique challenge: the solution must provide super-secure access from any device, while not being so complicated that some users will try workarounds that weaken it.
Another important consideration is the usability of your security admin tools: if the administrative features and applications are cumbersome, manual, siloed—or just not up to industry standards—your security is already compromised.
JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 9.2 rolled out new general security infrastructure improvements and security applications, reports, and features to make the work of protecting your company's sensitive application data more automated, efficient and transparent. For example, EnterpriseOne authentication tightens security by ensuring that only authenticated users can sign in to EnterpriseOne and can access only the applications, data and features that are appropriate for their roles, as defined by their company or department.
- Local Oracle Database Enhanced Encryption—Encryption was enhanced to meet and exceed industry standards. Important note: these enhanced encryption protocols only apply to Oracle databases using Tools Release 126.96.36.199 or later; the previous legacy solution no longer meets industry standards.
- Enhanced Database Security—In JDE E1 9.1, you create tables with an authority of PUBLIC ALL by default. With the 9.2 platform pack installer, the installer grants permissions, immediately increasing post-installation security.
- Site Key—Site keys are now part of an AES key, which is used to encrypt high-level, confidential, and protected data. In E1 9.2, each customer will have a unique site key, further tightening the security of this feature.
- JMX Security—In 9.2, Server Manager agents can communicate with the JMX protocol via a secured socket connection, significantly reducing the likelihood of security issues during data transmission. Note: JMX socket connections will need to be manually enabled by administrators following the upgrade to 9.
- User Defined Object (UDO) Security—The 9.2 Security Workbench allows administrators to enable or disable new user-defined object features and set up security for the user-defined objects. Users, with administrative permission, will be able to create, request, publish, view, use, and modify UDOs. Administrators can revoke and authorize security on a granular level to achieve maximum control, including:
- Which UDO features are available in EnterpriseOne.
- Who can create UDOs for their own personal use.
- Who can request to publish (or share) UDOs with other users.
- Who can view/use shared UDOs created by other users.
- Who can modify shared UDOs created by other users.
- Long User ID and Long Password—In 9.1 and prior iterations, user IDs and passwords were required to be under 10 characters. Following 9.2, users are allowed to create IDs between 6 and 254 characters. For passwords, users can use up to a maximum of 40 characters. Post 9.2 users will be able to use their short passwords is they are valid under the current password policies. Note: Longer user IDs and longer passwords are not out-of-the-box, but must be enabled by the administrator.
- Secure FTP (SFTP) for Media Objects—Prior to the 9.2 release, only unsecured FTP was available, which created a significant data vulnerability. With 9.2, the SSH file transfer protocol (aka Secure FTP or SFTP) is available and it is strongly advised that SFTP be used in lieu of FTP whenever possible.
How Velocity gets you to the 9's for smarter, easier security administration
With comprehensive upgrades such as the JDE E1 9.2 release, Velocity can help ensure you implement the most appropriate configuration and implementation for your business and IT needs and avoid any redundancies, inconsistencies – or vulnerabilities. By collaborating with Velocity, you will get the most out of these tighter security features and maximize both your functional and financial ROI.
Start your upgrade roadmap today to take advantage of the 100s of new applications, smart tools and analytics, and One View integrated reporting available in the most recent releases of your JD Edwards applications.
1st Third-party Provider to host JD Edwards World and EnterpriseOne
- Any cloud flexibility. Choose our virtual private cloud optimized for JD Edwards; public cloud via our VCAMP cloud management platform; or a hybrid strategy that matches your needs.
- Milestone gates built into the solution architecture keep your project on budget and on target.
- Predictable, fixed monthly fee for the upgrade, including Hosting and Managed services.
- Largest provider for JD Edwards hosting, with over 100 customers hosted.
Accelerate your cloud journey
Moving JD Edwards applications to the cloud with Velocity makes your company even more agile and competitive by adding a predictable cost model, lowering risk with managed disaster recovery, and delivering consistently superior service
With Velocity, your JD Edwards Application is covered end-to-end
- End-to-end JD Edwards service team can handle all JDE upgrade and implementation requirements.
- Business process expertise to ensure your JD Edwards solution is designed according to industry best practices.
- Global team of IT infrastructure and CNC administrator resources trained in JD Edwards.
- “Follow the sun” global technical and functional support for JD Edwards World and EnterpriseOne software.
Ready To Take Advantage of The Simplified Upgrade Process?
For more information about any of the JDE and Velocity Upgrade services described in this article, please contact us at 888.430.9252 or submit this form.
© 2016 Velocity Technology Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.