04 January 2016 / Blog
Now that Windows Server 2003 is out of support, what’s your next move?
By: Paul Cioni
If you are still running Windows 2003, you have run out of time. As of July 14, 2015, companies are grappling with the question: where do we go from here?
The end of support for Windows 2003 has far-reaching implications. Healthcare, as well as a multitude of other industries slow to upgrade, are or will be feeling the repercussions. Most notably, they’re struggling to ensure they remain operational and protected. Their main areas of concern:
- Application compatibility
- Ancillary system compatibility
- Potential gaps in security updates/fixes for installed servers
- The last security updates/fixes were released in 2014
- No security updates/fixes will be available as of July 14, 2015
- Patches/fixes are no longer available, not even for a fee
- HIPAA and other governmental regulations may be vulnerable and thereby out of compliance with required standards
- Healthcare, retail and government face more strict issues and may require additional fees or measures to guarantee security and compliance to continue services
- Servers used in environments requiring regulatory compliance may find it impossible to meet regulatory requirements, leading to an out-of-compliance condition.
- Microsoft does offer for-fee custom contracts — which extend for a limited period beyond the termination of extended support to customers who are actively working to migrate to a next generation product
- Ancillary systems and applications
- Ancillary applications and systems on Windows 2003 servers run the risk of being unsupported
- Applications run the risk of compatibility problems because they are running on unsupported servers
Look to the Cloud
With a clear need for a replacement, the strong -- and compelling case -- for your business, is moving to the cloud. End of support is an ideal time to migrate for many organizations. [Link to ideal time to move to the Cloud] cloud platforms, specifically, private cloud solutions, offer high performance architecture, reliability, scalability, security and compliance support.
If your company isn’t ready to fully move to the cloud, a hybrid solution may be the best approach. By keeping some of your on-premise infrastructure and combining it with Software as a Service (SaaS) solutions, your business can evaluate the benefits and balance of both environments.
The Velocity Difference
Velocity Technology Solutions provides hosting and application services for on-premise, hybrid and cloud solutions. Velocity has been managing applications for over a decade, supporting millions of end users and their companies worldwide. We provide cloud hosting services for core business systems such as those offered by Oracle, SAP and Infor. We also support application complements such as Oracle Hyperion, Qlikview, Kronos, PeopleSoft, Oracle Taleo and Oracle Cloud. Our engagements range from 2-4 week projects through on-going customized solutions.
Velocity Cloud Services Differentiators
- Single partner for your complete application portfolio including related third-party software
- Cloud infrastructure that optimizes the performance of your entire application portfolio
- Certified support team offers functional application support 12 hours a day
- 24/7 global support from experts with application-level expertise
- Application-specific configuration
- Ability to choose the managed services you need
The time is now to step back and assess your options, ask questions and seek out information.